Thursday, March 12, 2009

Holy crap, he's a southerner

First of all, yes I do realize my kids were born in the south. Somehow being raised in a house with two northern parents makes me forget that. Until we have an incident like last night. Harrison was in the bathtub and I was practicing his spelling words with him(he's trapped) and we get to the word "mouth." Harrison says "M-A...M-A" and I keep shaking my head, honestly confused because I didn't think it was that hard. He ends up with M-A-W-T-H. So I spell it correctly and he looks at me and says "oh it's one of those rule breakers were it isn't spelled like it sounds." I look at him and say "not really, there isn't an ah sound in mouth, it's a short o" and he looks at me and says "mouth"...in TWO syllables and precisely pronounced mahw-uth. It shocks me every time.

(Oh yeah, and he thinks I pronounce it wrong)

He is being raised in the south by a Michigander and an Ohioan, his pre-K teacher was from Puerto Rico, his kindergarten teacher was from Kentucky and his first grade teacher was raised in the Northeast (but born at Foote Hospital in Jackson - ironic huh?) I can't quite figure out where he is going to sound like he is from!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

like a Floridian :)